Good government should be as large as necessary and as small as possible. Mostly, we should have ways to protect ourselves from government getting out of control, which currently we don't have (much). Here's for an open society that benefits all!
Good government should provide:
- Defense (not necessarily offense)
- Regulate interstate commerce
- Impartial judicial system
- Protection of civil rights for all
- Regulate business and professional activities to prevent abuses
- Long-range planning for the benefit of all
Government should avoid:
- Giving to or enforcing advantage for any group, no exceptions
- Corrupt practices
- Taking rights away from any person or group, especially those based on prejudices
- Imposing on other countries, societies, cultures
- Supporting the worst characteristics of ego as policy (such as exceptionalism)
- Engaging in propaganda
Did I leave anything out?